Hot and Spicy African Chicken Stew Wraps
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 50mins
- 1 kg chicken thigh fillet
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 140 g tomato paste
- 1 cup chopped coriander
- 4 chapati, bought in packet from supermarket
- 2 tablespoons butter
- berbere, makes a lot, we will just use 2 tspn
- 2 tablespoons hot red cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground clove powder
- Place chicken in dish and cover with lemon juice and salt.
- Marinate in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Chop onion and garlic.
- Cook in a large heavy pot in the olive oil til soft.
- Add 2 tspn of Berbere mix, ginger, nutmeg, cardamom and stirfry for 1 minute.
- Add wine, stock and tomato paste and bring to simmer.
- Add chicken and marinade mixture.
- Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer.
- Simmer at very very low temperature with lid on for 3 hours, stirring frequently and ensuring stew doesn't dry out or stick to bottom.
- Add coriander.
- Melt butter in frypan.
- Cook chapattis quickly turning so they puff up.
- Fill chapattis with stew and wrap.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!