MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Serve these cakes as an appetizer over sliced avocado with ancho chile sauce or salsa. the recipe comes from a San Francisco Resturant.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups hominy, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup red onion, cut in 1/4 inch dice
- 3 green onions, trimed and minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, minced
- 3⁄4 cup provolone cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Puree the hominy in food processor until no whole kernels remain.
- Heat a medium saucepan and add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add the green and red onions, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, cayenne, cinnamon, salt and cilantro; saute until softened and turn translucent.
- Mix with the hominy and fold in the cheese and 1 egg.
- To test the seasoning fry a little of the batter and taste, adjust seasonings if needed.
- Porportion into 2-ounce cakes.
- Pour the flour into a dish.
- In a second dish, beat the remaining 2 eggs with 1 tablespoon water.
- In a third dish pour the Panko crumbs.
- Coat each hominy cake first with flour, then dip into the egg wash, then roll in the panko crumbs.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet until very hot.
- Add the cakes and saute 2 minutes,until golden brown, turn over and brown the other side.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION