- Ready In:
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 drops lemon extract
- Note: (You will need a spice bottle (about the size of a Twinkie), twelve 12 x 14-inch pieces of aluminum foil, a pastry bag and a toothpick).
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Fold each piece of foil in half twice. Wrap the folded foil around the spice bottle to create a mold. Leave the top open for pouring the batter inches Make twelve of these molds and arrange on a cookie sheet. Grease the inside of each with nonstick spray or butter.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Combine with cake mix and water, and beat until thoroughly blended (about 2 minutes).
- Pour batter into molds, filling each about 3/4 inch. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- For the filling, cream the butter and shortening. Slowly add the sugars while beating.
- Add the evaporated milk, vanilla and lemon extracts.
- Mix on medium speed until completely smooth and fluffy.
- When the cakes are done and cooled, use a toothpick to make three small holes in the bottom of each one. Move the toothpick around the inside of each cake to make room for filling.
- Using the pastry bag, inject each cake with filling through all three holes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a homeschooling mother of 8. We have chickens, goats and emus, as well as a year round veggie garden. My children help me cook most of the time, so I tend to look for recipes that are kid friendly and don't take a ton of time to prep. We are a mostly Feingold/Organic family and my main focus is good for you foods, but easy to make with a flair or twist. I experiment a lot with known recipes and I have come up with some amazing ones over the years and love to share with others. My ultimate cake right now is the german chocolate carob cake. My goal in life was to find the perfect sticky toffee pudding recipe. I have now found it in Carol's Sticky Toffee Pudding. This is the most amazing dessert (next to my carob cake) I've ever tasted.