Homemade Italian Red Gravy
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 20mins
- 12 uncooked meatballs, Italian Meatballs
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium vidalia onion, minced
- 1 pork neck bones
- 1 veal neck bones
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (18 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup chianti wine
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- Cook meatballs in 2 tbsp olive oil, set them aside, keep leftover oil.
- Add remaining olive oil to left over oil from meatballs.
- Sautee onion for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add pork and veal neck bones, continue cooking for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Stir in cans of tomatoes one at a time, wine, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Cook on medium-high until the sauce boils, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 hours, stirring frequently.
- Add cheese and meatballs and continue simmering for another 2 hours, stirring frequently.
- Remove and discard neck bones and bay leaves.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was my first attempt at making gravy or speghetti sauce from scratch. It produced a much thicker sauce than any jar sauce out there. The flavour was a little bland which I will correct next time with more garlic and fresh herbs. This is just a personal taste and not necessarily a short coming of this recipe. The meatball reference were absolutely fantastic. I've made some pretty poor meatballs in my time so I can tell you this was a definite success. Go ahead all you non Italians and give this a shot. You won't be disappointed.