Holiday Yam Bake
photo by kittycatonline.com
- Ready In:
1 9x13 pan
- 3 -4 yams (I used 3 yams, each being bigger than the average potato.)
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 12 crushed lorna doone cookies (or other shortbread cookies)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pecans
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows (actual amount is flexible)
- Peel the yams, cut them up in large pieces for boiling.
- Boil the yams in a large pot for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and mash with mixer.
- Add in eggs, butter, milk, sugar, vanilla. Beat until creamy.
- Pour into 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes at 400 degrees f.
- While the top is baking, crush 12 Lorna Doone cookies. You want bits and pieces, not dust.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter.
- Combine crushed cookies, brown sugar, pecans and melted butter. I suggest not using a mixer. The idea is to get the ingredients mixed, but not processed into mud. Just get the stuff mixed up.
- Remove the casserole from oven at the end of the first baking time.
- Distribute the topping carefully over the top of the casserole. There will likely not be sufficient topping to cover it all. No problem. Get out some mini marshmallows and cover the top to suit your liking. I ended using two cups worth.
- Return the casserole to the oven for a maximum of 5 minutes. I recommend keeping a wary eye on it to remove it should the marshmallows start burning. Some folks like marshmallows toasted dark, so of course, you will want to let this go according to your preferences.
- When done, we covered the casserole with foil and drove across town to have Thanksgiving dinner with family. The casserole remained very hot the entire time, and was just perfect to serve up thereafter.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!