High Altitude Lamb
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 40mins
- leg of lamb (6-7 lbs)
- 2 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon flour, for gravy
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup chicken stock, for gravy (in case there is not enough drippings)
- to taste potato, peeled (optional)
- Preheat oven to 550 degrees F.
- Place lamb fat side up on rack in roasting pan.
- With small sharp knife cut slits all over lamb.
- Place garlic slivers in slits.
- In small bowl combine savory through olive oil and combine well.
- Rub herb mixture over lamb.
- Salt and pepper lamb, if desired.
- Insert meat therometer into lamb.
- Bake at 550 degrees F for 15 minutes (rare-internal temp 140), 20 minutes (medium-internal temp 160), or 25 minutes (well-internal temp 170).
- Turn off oven.
- Do not open oven door for 3 1/2 hours.
- Pour off 2 Tablespoons fat into saucepan and cook with 1 Tablespoon flour.
- Add drippings and chicken stock to equal 2 cups.
- Cook until thickened.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I love cooking and trying different foods, but my favorite cookbooks are now Weight Watchers or low fat/low cal cookbooks as I tend to try and make low fat/low cal recipes. I lost over 90 pounds on Weight Watchers and have maintained for over a year now -- so my cooking/eating habits have changed drastically following my weight loss and to keep it off!</p>