Ham and Egg Pie
My brand new husband described this pie as his mother made it. I developed the recipe from his description and the entire family relished it throughout our 52 years of marriage.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, diced (leftover from Easter?)
- 2 cups diced ham (leftover from Easter?)
- 2 cups very thick white sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard, added to the cooked white sauce
- 1 recipe pie crust, for a two-crust 9 inch pie (Use a packaged pie crust to save time.)
- Line pie plate with one crust.
- Spread half of the ham across it.
- Then spread the diced hard-boiled eggs on top of the ham.
- Spread the other half of the ham on top of the eggs.
- Pour the white sauce evenly over the ham and eggs.
- Top with the second crust-- crimping the edges tightly and cutting vent holes.
- Bake at 350 for about an hour, until the crust is golden brown.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
So surprised to find this recipe! Our Grandma Doris used to make it when we'd visit them in Memphis. I suspect it was maybe a common Southern regional recipe. As a kid I thought it kinda bland but that's how ppl cooked back then. Years ago my sister found her recipe and started making it. I was going to make some today and decided to google it on a whim and found this. Ours is 8-10 HB eggs, 1 Lb or so cubed ham, white sauce: 4T butter, 4T flour, 2C milk+ salt/pepper to taste. We make the white sauce then add in the ham and mix it all up good then gently fold in in the sliced HB eggs. Pour that mixture into (make as 2 crust) 1 deep dish or 2 reg pie shells. cut slits, cover edges w/foil strips (dull side up) bake @ 375 for abt 25 min, remove foil bake additional 20-25min. *tweaks: I use pkg of cubed ham from store so fry it up a bit before make pies - I like my ham a bit browned/crispy. I add some cheese, American or cheddar to the white sauce- less cheesy than for mac n cheese but enough for hint of color/flavor. Hadn't thought to put in mustard but sounds like a good option to me. Deviled eggs yum. Serious comfort food. Make 2 because one is never enough.Reply
With Easter coming soon, I decided I wanted to make an old family favorite, ham & egg pie. My Mom passed away two years ago so I was trying to figure out how I could recreate the recipe. It occurred to me that I might find something on the internet, so I search for a ham and egg pie recipe and was delighted to find this one. It took me a few moments to realize who posted this recipe almost eight years ago - my Mom! I don't know if it ever occurred to her that I might find this recipe years later, but somehow I believe she did. What a joy this is! It is a great recipe for leftover ham and colored eggs - enjoy! We sure did for many years.2Reply
see 5 more