Grilled Tomatoes Marinated in Basil Vinaigrette
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tomatoes, halved horizontally
- oil, for greasing the pan
- Preheat broiler or grill.
- Combine olive oil, vinegar, basil, bay leaves, garlic and salt in a medium bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Place tomato halves cut-sides down directly on greased broiler pan or grill rack. Broil until they start to char and blister (or shrivel and show good grill marks if on the grill), about 4 minutes. Using tongs or a spatula and spoon, carefully turn tomatoes over and broil or grill 2 minutes more.
- Remove cooked tomatoes from heat and place cut-sides up in the dish with oil and vinegar mixture. Spoon some of the mixture over tomatoes. Set aside to marinate at least 1 hour, or cover and refrigerate up to 5 days. Serve at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I cut the tomatoes into wedges and tossed them in with some angel hair pasta and served as a room temerature pasta salad. I used the marinade as the sauce, and it turned out great. I felt they were much better the first day because they got a little too mushy for me by the next day. But the flavor was wonderful and I will use them again.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am going to use this spot to put some of my favorite cooking tips and tricks that don't really warrant going in as a recipe and so I don't lose them!!