Grilled Porterhouse Steak With Cilantro Lime Compound Butter
photo by Joanne
- Ready In:
For the Steak
- 4 porterhouse steaks (mine were thin sliced 1/2-inch thick)
- fresh ground black pepper
- canola oil, for brushing steak
For the Compound Butter
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of, plus a few grates of lime zest
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt & fresh ground pepper
Make Compound Butter:
- In a small saute pan over med heat, melt 2 tbs. of butter, add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute until garlic is fragrant.
- Transfer the garlic butter to medium bowl. Add the lime juice, lime zest, and worcestershire sauce. Whisk to combine.
- Use a fork to blend in 1 stick of butter. Season with Salt and Pepper, and add in the cilantro. Mix well.
- Roll the butter into a cylinder (like a log) in plastic wrap, and twist the ends. Refrigerate until ready to use (at least 1 hour). Or freeze it if you need it sooner.
For the Steak:
- About 20 minutes before grilling, remove the steaks from the refrigerator. Rinse and pat dry. Brush the steaks on both sides with oil and season both sides with salt and pepper to taste. Cover steaks and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat indoor grill pan or outdoor grill to high (let it get really hot). Cook steak for 3 minutes on first side, flip and cook additional 2 minutes on second side for medium rare. Note: If using indoor grill pan cook 1 steak at a time.
- Transfer steaks to platter, top with a slice of compound butter. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
- I served these steaks with my baked broccoli mac and cheese recipe #503983, and a green salad on the side.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
So Good. I didn't have porterhouse steaks but I did have, and used, large 1 inch thick New York strips. I made the butter a couple of days ago and it had lots of wonderful flavor this evening. The grilled steak is simply delicious cooked to a perfect med-rare with that great melting butter. Made for PAC, Spring 2014.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Hi, I'm Joanne from Brooklyn, NY. I'm a foodie! I love to cook, and share recipes.</p>