Grilled Arepas With Salsa (South American Corn Cakes)
- Ready In:
For the salsa
- 1⁄2 medium sweet onion, very finely diced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, very finely diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, very finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (approximately)
For the arepas
- 7 corn cakes, thawed if frozen (arepas)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- Combine onions, peppers, garlic, cilantro, vinegar, and lime juice.
- Toss to mix.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Add more lime juice if desired. There should be about 1 1/2 cups of salsa.
- Salsa can be made several hours in advance.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Brush and oil grill very well.
- Lightly brush both sides of arepas with some of the melted butter.
- Arrange arepas on grill, and and grill until toasted and brown, about 2 minutes.
- Turn over with a spatula or tongs and grill on other side about 2 minutes.
- Transfer arepas to a platter and brush with any remaining butter.
- Top each arepa with some of the salsa.
- Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!