Greek Lamb Kabobs
- Ready In:
- 2 large lemons
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- 5 green onions, white and pale green portions, thinly sliced, divided
- 5 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless leg of lamb, cut into 2-inch cubes
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 8 bamboo skewers
- Marinate the lamb: Place 8 bamboo skewers in cold water until ready to use. Grate 3 tsp zest from the lemons and squeeze 5 Tb juice. In a shallow glass or ceramic dish just large enough to hold the lamb in a single layer, combine 2 tsp of the lemon zest, 3 Tb of the lemon juice, the oregano, half each of the green onions and garlic, and the olive oil. Season the lamb generously with salt and pepper. Add the lamb to the marinade and turn to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Make the Yogurt Sauce: Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, cucumber, the remaining 1 tsp lemon zest and 2 Tb lemon juice, and the remaining green onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Grill the Lamb: Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for direct-heat grilling over high heat and oil the grill rack. Or, preheat a broiler. Remove the lamb from the marinade, discarding the marinade. Thread the lamb onto the skewers. Place on the grill rack, or put on a baking sheet and place under the broiler. Cook, turning once, 6 to 7 minutes for medium rare or done to your liking. Divide the skewers among 4 plates and serve with the yogurt sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I work full-time as a School Psychologist in Michigan. Besides the kids, one of the best aspects of the job is summer vacation, when I can concentrate on doing more of the things that I like to do---like look up recipes and play games on Recipezaar!!! I married my wonderful and handsome husband, Sean, in August 2007. He is becoming a wonderful gardender and tends to both our veggie and herb gardens. We really enjoy cooking with our own fresh ingredients. We most often cook together, so my reviews typically reflect our joint opinions. He's the better cook, so I pick up a lot of my techniques from him. My other interests include reading (now that I have time), Irish dancing (I've taken a class for the last several years), "appreciating" wine (I use the term very loosely), and listening to and going to see Irish bands (I love the Pogues). I also enjoy travelling, especially around Western Europe, where I have been multiple times. One of my favorite places is Italy, and Sean and I had a great time on our honeymoon eating, drinking, and sightseeing in the Cinque Terre and in Tuscany. This July 2009, we expanded our horizons to Eastern Europe and visited the Czech Republic, Slovenia, and Croatia. Two of my favorite dishes on the trip were Croatian: fish brodet and Hvarska gregada. I am looking forward to trying my hand at making them at home as I see that someone on Zaar, who is Croatian, posted recipes for both! Besides my husband, the other lights of my life are my cats: Chloe, Pip, and my newest ragdoll cat, Giselle, all of whom I absolutely adore. <a href="http://s341.photobucket.com/albums/o388/courjen/?action=view¤t=PipChloe_web.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o388/courjen/PipChloe_web.jpg" border="0" alt="Pip and Chloe"></a> <a href="http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o388/courjen/Giselle_zaar.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o388/courjen/Giselle_zaar.jpg" border="0" alt="Giselle"></a> I've participated in the following events: <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg" border="0" alt= "Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/calendar%20clips/Copyofsoybean.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%204/ZWTAB-tg.gif" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> I most recently had the privelege of being on the ZWT5 Team, the Sultans of Spice, with a great group of people. We came in second place! <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src=http://home.insightbb.com/~webdesign5/Logo1a.jpeg>