Grandma's Sourdough Pancakes
photo by PaulaG
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 6mins
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons oil or 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 compressed yeast cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1. Night before: Mix flour, milk, salt, and starter in large bowl. Cover and let stand over night! (Be sure to set aside 1 cup as future starter).
- 2. In morning: Add Soda, eggs, sugar, oil or butter. Mix until lumps are gone.
- 3. Cook on heated skillet until cakes are golden brown. Serve with favorite syrup (Grandma's choke cherry syrup is the best!).
- Starter: Soften yeast in warm water.
- Stir in Flour, water, and sugar. Beat until smooth.
- cover and let it stand at room temperature until mixture is bubbly. During this time stir 2-3 times daily. Refrigerate or freeze.
IMPORTANT GRANDMA TIP:
- DO NOT WASH STARTER CONTAINER! SOURDOUGH, GOOD SOURDOUGH, DEPENDS ON THIS!
Wonderful, moist pancakes. When I made these, I was unsure whether the reference in the instructions as to removing one cup of starter was meant to be done before or after the first addition of ingredients. I simply used the whole bowl in the final recipe(I had already set aside some of my original starter). Was this correct? Even if I wasn't strictly following the recipe, they were still really delicious!
see 2 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /></p>