Good Eats Dulce De Leche
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 5mins
- 1 quart whole milk
- 12 ounces sugar, by weight (approximately 1.5 cups)
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Combine the milk, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds in a large, 4-quart saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the baking soda and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook uncovered at a bare simmer. Stir occasionally, but do not re-incorporate the foam that appears on the top of the mixture. Continue to cook for 1 hour.
- Remove the vanilla bean after 1 hour and continue to cook until the mixture is a dark caramel color and has reduced to about 1 cup, approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer. Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to a month.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This was a really good recipe, just a little too sweet for my tastebuds. Admittedly, I used skim milk and reduced the sugar to 1 cup (then again, I used brown sugar, so it was sweeter), 2 tsp of real vanilla extract. It took around 4 hours to completely thicken, and due to laziness (it was 1am) I decided to add 1 tsp of cornstarch dissolved in 1 tbsp cold water. Worked like a charm, and my mixture thickened almost instantaneously :/ Not completely authentic if you follow my method, but hey, its good:)