Gluten-Free Animal Cookies
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot
- 2 1⁄2 cups gluten-free flour (eg Orgran)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 185 g vegan margarine (eg Nuttelex)
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder, mixed with
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sunflower oil, and
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- icing, and decorations (optional)
- Mix the arrowroot, flour and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream the margarine, sugar and vanilla together in another bowl.
- Beat the baking powder, oil and water mixture into the margarine and gradually blend in the flour mixture.
- Bring the dough together into a ball with your hands, flatten and divide into quarters. Roll out one piece thickly on a clean and floured board with a floured rolling pin.
- Cut our your favourite animal shapes (or any cookie cutters you like) and carefully transfer them onto ungreased non-stick baking trays.
- Bake them in the centre of the oven for about 8 mins at 190C or 375°F.
- Remove the trays from the oven and leave the cookies to cool on the trays for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks.
- Decorate with icing as desired or eat plain.
- Makes about 30 (depending on size).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe is amazing. Gluten, dairy and egg free, and they taste so good! My kids Loved them. I used Better Batter as my flour blend and I found it necessary to add about a 1/4 cup more flour than called for. In order to get each cut cookie onto the baking sheet I pressed down the cookie cutter and then slipped a spatula under each cookie using the cookie cutter to kind of push the cookie up onto the spatula. Then I transferred them onto the cookie sheet each in turn. Using that method I was able to make all types of shapes including large fancy snowflakes with little cut outs.