Gingersnap Crusted Ham With Apricot Mustard Sauce
photo by anniesnomsblog
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 (8 lb) ham, half
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup gingersnap crumbs (about 9 cookies, finely crushed)
- 1 1⁄2 cups apricot preserves
- 1⁄2 cup dry marsala wine
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- To prepare ham, line a broiler pan with foil. Trim fat and rind from ham. Score outside of ham in a diamond pattern. Place ham on prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 1 hour. Remove the ham from oven, and cool slightly. Increase oven temperature to 375°.
- Combine 2 tablespoons preserves and 2 tablespoons mustard, stirring with a whisk. Combine the sugar and crumbs. Brush preserves mixture over ham.
- Carefully press crumb mixture onto preserves mixture (some crumb mixture will fall onto pan). Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until a thermometer registers 145°.
- Place ham on a platter; let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
- To prepare sauce, combine 1 1/2 cups preserves and remaining ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes. Serve sauce with ham.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this for Christmas dinner and it was great! Every last step of it was easy and required no special culinary skills. I just used a regular bone-in ham ( not a ham in a can) with no skin and already trimmed. I still scored the outside so it had that cross hatch pattern you expect to see on a ham, and it helped hold the glaze and crumbs in place. I’ve been making a different ham recipe for years but I’ll switch to this one for awhile. It turned out beautiful and was so tasty! And did I mention easy? EASY!
Fantastic! I served this ham as a part of a Swedish Christmas dinner buffet. I ran out of time to make the sauce but served the ham with dishes of different kinds of mustard and the apricot jam, and everyone seemed to enjoy it just the same. I used a 6.5 lb ham and unfortunately, it got a little overcooked, but this recipe is for an 8 lb ham, so if you are using a smaller ham, I would shorten the second cooking period. Overall, this ham had amazing flavor and a beautiful crust. I will definitely make this again.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>My rating system: (I don't like giving bad reviews, so if I don't like it, I'll just not review it.) <br /><br />5 Stars OMG, this is one of the most amazing things I've ever eaten! I can't stop eating it, and I've eaten myself into a food coma. <br /><br />4 Stars The recipe is wonderful as is. I can't think of a single improvement and I will most likely make it again. <br /><br />3 Stars This needed a little *something*something*. I might make it again, but will add my own improvements if I do. <br /><br />I love to eat! And I love to cook. I tend to take over the kitchen when I get in there. Even the dog knows the command get outta my kitchen! LOL. Cooking for other people and trying new recipes or foods is FUN! I have a small (but growing quickly!!) cookbook collection and one of my favorite things to do is to read recipes and plan meals. Rachael Ray, Horn of the Moon and Moosewood are favorites of mine. <br /><br />We spend a lot of time outdoors camping, hiking and backpacking. Yup. I cook in the woods too! I've made deals with my hiking buddies... If they carry in my food, I'll cook for them. I recently published a backpacking cookbook. Check out the website: http://www.onepanwonders.com <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/beartag_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/adopted_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/AnimatedPRD.gif alt= /> <img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/ZWT2.gif alt= /></p>