Gingered Millet With Japanese Veggies
photo by HealthyMamma
- Ready In:
- 1 cup millet
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup shiitake mushroom, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 small bok choy, chopped and rinsed well under cool water
- 1⁄2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons undistilled apple cider vinegar
- Place millet and ginger in a small saucepan. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and water. Bring to a boil, stir once, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork, add beans.
- • Steam shiitakes in a steamer over boiling water, covered, for 3 minutes. Add carrots and bok choy and steam 4 to 6 minutes more. Remove steamer from heat.
- • In a small bowl, whisk together oil and vinegar to make dressing. Season with a dash of salt.
- • Transfer millet to bowls and garnish with steamed and remaining raw vegetables. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over top and sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Busy mom of 4 who loves to cook! I love experimenting to find healthy alternatives to the pre-made junk found in stores.