Ginger Cake with Fudge Frosting
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 225 g butter
- 225 g dark muscovado sugar
- 25 g golden syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 300 ml milk
- 375 g all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 75 g butter
- 175 ml double cream
- 175 g sugar
- Heat the oven to 150*C.
- Line a 9 inch square cake tin with baking parchment.
- (Butter the tin first) Melt the butter, sugar and syrup in a saucepan set over a medium heat.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Then stir in the ground ginger, eggs and milk.
- Sift the flour and soda into a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center, add the ginger mixture and blend together until smooth, using a large spoon or whisk.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 1 hour until firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- When cold, wrap in foil and leave for 3 days to improve.
- Heat the frosting ingredients in a heavy based pan over a moderate heat, until melted.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly and taking care that the frosting does not burn.
- Remove from the heat and whisk until just thickened to a pouring consistency.
- Leave to cool and set a little.
- Spread over the top of the cake.
- For a smooth finish dip a palette knife in hot water and run it across the top, repeating as necessary.
- You may prefer the slightly rough and textured look, which comes naturally.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!