Fresh Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Melt the butter. Brush a little bit of the butter on the inside of a 9 inch round cake pan, or a cast iron skillet.
- Mix 5 tablespoons of the butter with the dark brown sugar and 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice. Place this mixture in the bottom of the cake pan. Arrange the pineapple rings on the brown sugar mixture in a decorative pattern (be creative). Set pan aside.
- Stir together the flour, salt, white sugar, and baking powder.
- Separate the eggs. Beat the whites until stiff but not dry.
- Beat two of the egg yolks until lemony yellow. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup pineapple juice, vanilla, and remaining melted butter. Add this mixture to the flour mixture. Gently fold in the egg whites. Pour batter over the top of the brown sugar and pineapple rings.
- Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes then cover pan tightly with a serving dish and invert so that the pineapple side is up.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Hi Terri: This is delicious!! I was looking for a recipe using FRESH pineapple. Yours seemed to be the only one. There are only 2 of us so I halved the cake recipe and then I used a 10" tart pan. so we had lots of pineapple with some cake on top. Used Butter in the topping but Smart Balance in the cake. Used Whey Low Brown sugar for the brown sugar (both are very low carbs). Even so I still reduced all sugar amounts by 1/2, as we don't like things too sweet. Also, didn';t have any pineapple juice and my pineapple was kind of dry. Used 1/2 milk and 1/2 water instead. Finally, the only other change was to put the eggs in whole. My tart dish is only about 1 1/4" deep and I didn't want The cake to overflow the top. Amazing texture and very light. Going to try with with peaches and plums next. For me this is a keeper and will be my go to basic cake as well. Thanks again Judy in WA
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have 3 grown children and 4 grandchildren. All bring me great joy. ( especially now that my children have children and are getting their paybacks!! ) I've always been told that you only go thru life once..and that if you do it right once is enough. Well, I musta done something wrong!! (Heart transplant recipient.....October 13,1998 ) I'm getting a second chance at life! Thank you to all of you that have signed your donor cards.