Fresh Corn and Sausage Chowder
Though this can easily be made with frozen corn for a delicious meal on a cold night, I think the fresh-off-the-cob-corn tastes so much better! I've made this two summers in a row now. A fairly simple yet hearty recipe, it goes well with homemade biscuits!
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb sausage links or 1/2 lb bulk sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 3 ears fresh corn, husked and cleaned
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 4 cups heavy cream or 4 cups half-and-half
- In large skillet, brown sausage. Cool and cut in 1/2 inch slices.
- In large saucepan, melt butter and add onions, cooking for 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook until bubbly.
- Add chicken broth, sausage, and potatoes.
- Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add corn and cook just until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cream and cook until heated through.