French Peasant Bread
This is a really easy bread to make, and tastes amazing! Try this and you will never buy french bread again! I got recipe from a cooking group and it was submitted by Laura H. Thanks for the recipe! I do not use the cornmeal because I hate cornmeal, but to each their own.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 25mins
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast (rapid rise)
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups flour
- olive oil
- melted butter
- Dissolve yeast, sugar and salt in water.
- Add flour and stir with a wooden spoon until blended. Do not knead -- it will be lumpy.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hours
- Oil a cookie sheet with olive oil.
- Oil hands and remove dough from bowl and divide into 2 rounds and place on cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle dough with cornmeal(optional).
- Let rise 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and brush dough with melted butter.
- Bake for 10 min then reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- When finished baking, brush again with melted butter.