Floridanative's Pinto Bean Burritos
photo by KristinV
- Ready In:
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can organic pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons canned green chilies, chopped (I use the whole small can)
- 1 tablespoon dried chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups shredded low-fat cheese (jack, pepper jack, cheddar or a mixture)
- 1 cup prepared organic salsa
- 8 large organic whole grain soft tortillas
- canola cooking spray (for casserole dish)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in oil until soft.
- Add beans, chilies and seasonings. Mix and mash the beans somewhat to the desired consistency.
- Remove from heat; spread beans, cheese and salsa in the middle of each tortilla. (I use about 2/3 cup beans and about 1/4 cup cheese per tortilla so they roll up nicely).
- Roll up tortillas and place in 7 x 11 or 9 x 13 ovenproof casserole dish, lightly sprayed with oil.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Serve.
- NOTE: I put additional salsa and cheese on top before baking ~ we like our burritos extra cheesy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These bean burritos are better than the ones that I usually make. I used an entire can of green chilies, too. I did not cover my burritos with foil, just topped them with some salsa and some cheese and they came out very great, my husband and son slathered them with sour cream and I ate them plain. Thanks for posting a new family favourite!
see 3 more reviews