photo by carmill57
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup leek, diced (1/2-inch pieces, bottom white part only)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, fine grind
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, grated
- 5 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into thin rounds (about 1/16-inch thick)
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add jalapeños, leeks, garlic, salt and pepper and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add cream and half & half and bring to a simmer. When cream is hot, remove pan from stove. Stir in both cheeses and blend thoroughly.
- Place potato slices in a large mixing bowl. Add cream mixture to bowl, folding potatoes and sauce gently together.
- Spray a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with non-stick coating. Pour in potato mixture and evenly distribute potatoes and sauce.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook an additional 15 minutes to brown potatoes.
OK. DON'T know what i did wrong. Followed recipe to a T. Potatoes were thin slice via cuisinart. Baked in huge Wolf oven. Still sitting here on Christmas Day waiting for the dxxx potato casserole to cook. We are at least 1 hour later than the 45 minutes on the frxxxxx recipe. Did you all parboil the potatoes first????????? There seems to be a ton of happy posters- so please give me an idea of your secret!
I don't understand all the negative reviews?! My family loves these potatoes! I did remove the foil and add cheese and broiled at the end, like another reviewer, so they were more like Flemings. But I can't imagine how potatoes can't be done in this amount of time...not possible. I highly recommend for special occasions.
see 5 more reviews