Scalloped Potatoes (Au Gratin)
photo by clubfoody
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled, washed and sliced into 1/4-inch thick
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus more for baking dish
- 1 white onion, cut into thin strips (Lyonnaise-style cut)
- 2 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 cups cold half-and-half cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded aged cheddar cheese (mixed yellow and white)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (mixed with 1/2 cup water)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cayenne (to taste)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and generously butter a 3-quart (9 x 13-inch) casserole dish. Layer ½ of the potato sliced into bottom. In a medium-size saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and sauté onion with garlic for 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer onion mixture over the potatoes in the prepared casserole dish; set aside.
- Return saucepan to stovetop and pour cold milk. Bring to a simmer and add cheese, stirring until cheese has melted completely. Pour cornstarch mixture and stir until sauce thickens. Pour ½ cheese sauce over onion mixture and season with black pepper and cayenne. Add the remaining potatoes and pour the remaining sauce; season with black pepper and cayenne once again. Cover dish with greased aluminum foil and bake 1 ½ hours in the preheated oven. Remove foil for the last 15 minutes for golden brown top.
- Note: Sprinkle with Panko® for extra crispiness or use green onions and, crumbled and cooked bacon.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
clubfoody.com is about combining fresh ingredients, herbs and spices. This is a fun destination for foodies who love new recipes complete with videos and kitchen tips.