Flat (Out) Bread
photo by ljunod79
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 2 cups bread flour, plus more for work surface
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for bowl and griddle
- In a large bowl, mix together yeast and 3/4 cup water; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup water, flour, sugar, salt, and olive oil; mix until a dough is formed.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until firm, about 5 minutes. (Or use your Kitchen Aid mixer to knead the dough).
- Lightly oil a large bowl and add dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap and keep in a warm place; let rise until dough has doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Divide dough into 8, 2 oz. pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough out to an 1/8-inch-thick oblong circle; cover dough with a clean towel.
- Heat griddle over high heat and lightly coat with olive oil.
- Working with one piece of dough at a time, uncover and add to griddle. Cook flatbread until bubbling and brown, 40 seconds to 1 minute, then turn and continue cooking 20 seconds more.
- Remove flatbread from heat; wipe griddle clean.
- Repeat process with remaining pieces of dough.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside . . . Chardonnay in one hand . . .chocolate in the other; the body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"