English Batter Buns
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in milk.
- Add shortening, sugar, salt, eggs and 2 cups of flour; beat 2 minutes.
- Stir in remaining flour until smooth.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Stir batter vigorously for 25 strokes (dough will be slightly sticky).
- Spoon into 12 greased muffin cups.
- Tap pan to settle the batter.
- Cover and let rise until batter reaches tops of cups, about 20 minutes.
- Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush with melted butter.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Delicious yeast dough, but with half the rising time usually required for dinner rolls. The danger with these is that they are like potato chips... you can't eat just one. Straight out of the oven we had to taste test but that turned into two & three. I used my KA to mix initially & then stirred by hand the second time. I think these would be great with some garlic powder or fresh minced garlic mixed with the melted butter too. Thanks for sharing, Bonnie! Made for My 3 Chefs Nov 2008.
Made these in my KA mixer then did the 25 strokes by hand. Used butter-flavored Crisco because that's what I had on hand. So easy to make and I couldn't believe how delicious these are! These are definitely on my list of things to make for company or when I want to splurge, since I couldn't stop at eating just one! Made for Family Picks from the Great Britain region for ZWT8, team Diners, Winers, and Chives.
We really enjoyed these quick and easy to make buns. They were perfect with our dinner this evening. They were really quick and easy to make, with excellent results. A light, tender, fluffy bun with great flavor. Thank you for sharing the recipe Bonnie G. Made for the Fearless Red Dragons - ZWT8 - Family Picks Round
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>As of 6-14-2013 DH will be completing his tour in Trinidad, which has been a wonderful adventure; and returning home to Dayton, WA. We'll miss all our friends and time there, but looking forward to enjoying home life on the ranch for awhile, while we see what the next adventure might bring.</p> 8726453"