Eat Til You Bust Chicken Tortilla Soup
photo by blueguitargirl1985
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 20mins
- 5 bone in chicken breasts
- 5 quarts water
- 8 stalks celery, sliced in 1/4-inch pieces
- 8 carrots, peeled and sliced in 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 -3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white pepper (can use more)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper (can use more)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (can use more)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (can use more)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies, original (Rotel)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans diced tomatoes and green chilies, mild (Rotel)
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream (can use more)
- 3 (15 ounce) cans corn, drained
- 30 corn tortillas
- monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend, fancy shred (for topping)
- canola oil or vegetable oil, for frying tortilla strips
- 3 -4 tablespoons chicken base (Better than Bullion, can use more)
- In a large stockpot, over med hi heat, boil chicken, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, salt, and peppers in water for 1 to 2 hours, or until chicken is very tender, and easy to de-bone.
- Remove chicken and let cool. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Add Rotel, cilantro, corn, and cumin to the pot, stir well.
- Remove chicken from the bone, and chunk. Add to the pot. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Add cream. Stir in bullion paste to taste.
- Cut tortillas in thin strips, and fry in heated oil (med hi heat) until golden brown, drain on paper towels.
- Place tortilla strips in bottom of bowl, ladle soup over top. Sprinkle with cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Delicous and pretty easy to make. This is the first soup that I have made from scratch. Next time I will cut down on the ingredients a little bit, my pot wasn't large enough to hold everything and it started overflowing. It makes a TON of soup. I forgot to add the garlic, but everything tasted great anyway. Thanks for the recipe!!
I made this for Cinco De Mayo, and let me tell you, it was a HIT! It's really creamy, and spicy, (I made it spicier for our taste) There is just something really satisfying about it. The tortilla crisps give a nice crunchy texture that makes it special, the chicken gets very tender, and absorbs the flavor, nice fresh carrots, and celery. Then there is the gooey cheese on top.. Yum! It is literally making my mouth water thinking about it! Thanks for posting this recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am married, have 4 kids, and work with my husband. We own a music store in the Tampa area. My husband is also in a very good 60's rock band, and I (for the past year and a half) have been booking agent/band manager for them. I am having the time of my life! I love to cook, and I am always looking for easy, but GREAT weeknight dinner recipes. Zaar has changed the way I live! My ratings system is as follows 5 stars: knocked my socks off! I will make this again, and again! 4 stars: Very good! But maybe one of my family members didn't love it, I will probably make it again, but not on a regular basis. 3 stars: Good, but needs quite a few modifications to make it a favorite in my family. If I make it again, I will re-work the recipe more to my family's taste. 2 star and below: I just don't give these reviews. If I really did not like the recipe, I just don't review it. One thing I promise: I will NEVER alter a recipe, then submit a negative review based on my "changed recipe". This is a TOTAL pet-peeve, if I change a recipe and have a favorable outcome, I will list the changes in my positive review, but if I change it and do not like it, well that's my fault and I won't do anyone any favors by saying the recipe is no good when I'm the one who ruined it!