Easy Fruit Loaf
- Ready In:
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups sultanas or 2 cups mixed dried fruit
- 2 ounces butter
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Heat gently together in a pot on stove top the water, sugar, dried fruit and butter until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes then stir in flour and spices and baking soda.
- Pour into a large loaf pan which has been greased and floured or bottom lined with baking paper and bake at 350'F for 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool in tin for 10 minutes then tip out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Serve cut in slices and buttered.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Fantastic recipe, so easy. I made a couple of changes to the recipe. The first was that I halved the sugar down to 1 cup and with all the fruit, my husband thought that the flavour was even better. The second thing I did was when making it I put the liquid into the flour mix. I've now made this recipe about 3 times and it will stay a staple.
I just made this on Tuesday. Its so moist and scrumptious! I added dark and golden raisins. I also put in rum extract. I went ahead and put 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup golden sugar. For richness, I like to add 1/4 cup mascapone. I baked covered with foil while rotating a couple of times. Then off it went to my relatives in Minnesota. They can't stop complimenting me. Its a real quick way of making a loaf. Its not a fruit cake so not quite as dense. I am pleased that the texture holds up well even with no eggs. This is a delicious loaf!