Easy Cornbread--4 Ingredients
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 425.
- You can use butter spray to grease skillet, but it works best if you put a little oil in the skillet and put it in the oven while it is preheating. Remove skillet and tilt to coat pan bottom with oil right before you pour in the batter.
- Mix cornmeal, milk, egg and oil in bowl.
- Pour batter into hot skillet and return skillet to oven.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes depending on your oven.
- Cornbread is done when the top is nice and brown and the sides have pulled away from the pan. Turn over the pan and it should slide right out. Cut into wedges and serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Don't let the review below steer you away from this recipe- this is great southern style cornbread. An easy way to go wrong with this recipe is to not notice that it calls for "cornmeal mix", not cornmeal. Cornmeal mix has leavening agents in it, which gives a nice textured cornbread. Also, be sure and heat up your skillet with oil in the oven beforehand- the crust created by a hot cast iron pan is to die for!
This recipe does not make cornbread. I was running late with dinner and threw it together based on the fact that it only needed 4 ingredients. I didn't really think about it not having leavening, which made for a very flat, dense corn cake. It resembled a heavy polenta without the creaminess. We cut it into sticks and dipped it in honey. Not terrible, but I wouldn't use this recipe again. Sorry!