Easy Broccoli & Pork Chop Dinner
photo by Crafty Lady 13
- Ready In:
- 10 ounces chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice, minute, uncooked
- 3 cups broccoli florets, small
- 1⁄4 cup onion, sweet, finely chopped
- 4 pork chops, bone it
- 1⁄4 cup Catalina dressing
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice, fresh squeezed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest, fine
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup, pure
- 2 tablespoons almonds, sliced toasted (optional)
- Add broth to a pot and bring to a boil at medium high heat, then stir in the rice, cover and lower heat to medium low, simmer for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Next add the broccoli and sweet onion, stir, cover and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand covered, for 5 minutes or until the broth is completely absorbed.
- Place a large cooking pan on medium heat and add a little oil, add the pork chops and cook 4 minutes per side until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Remove the pork chops from the pan, cover and keep warm.
- Add the catalina dressing, orange juice, orange zest and maple syrup to the pan, bring to a boil, cooking for 3 minutes or until sauce is reduced by half.
- Serve chops over the rice and drizzle with the sauce and garnish with almonds if using.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Excellent pork chop dish. I don't have minute rice, so I cooked long grain rice in my rice cooker with the chicken broth. I sauteed the onion and steamed the broccoli and added it to the rice. To make it more diabetic friendly, I used sugar-free honey substitute in place of the maple sugar. I also added a little crushed red pepper flake. Tender, juicy, flavorful pork chops on top of a bed of delicious rice. I will be making this often. Made for December 2012 Aus/NZ Swap.
These pork chops were absolutely scrumptious. What a delicious and complete meal this made for dinner tonight. I used regular rice which took longer and used more broth, but it was definitely worth it. Otherwise, I made everything just as directed and we loved it. The sauce was wonderful and so simple to make - delicious orange flavor.
My husband said this is exceptional. Since I don't much care for the par cooked rice, I used regular, cooked the broccoli separately, then combined the two. The sauce was very tasty. I toasted up some pine nuts and I must recommend the nuts be used, regardless of what type. They add that little something extra to the dish. Made for New Kids on the Block Tag game. :)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a very lucky lady. I recently moved to a very small town in New Brunswick, Canada with my wonderful husband who is my best friend. Very fortunate to have a cherished son, wonderful daughter in law and adorable granddaughter and cute wee grandson. We are very blessed. A big thank you to everyone that has made my recipes... hope you enjoyed them.