Easy and Delicious Borracho Beans
- Ready In:
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄4 onion, chopped
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans (undrained)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies (undrained)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic (or use garlic powder to taste)
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle mexican beer (use only 1/2 bottle for thicker beans)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- lime wedge
- shredded cheese
- In a medium sized sauce pan, fry bacon and onion until the bacon is crisp (stirring often to make sure onion doesn't burn).
- add pinto beans, ro-tel tomatoes, chilies, garlic and beer to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes or until the sauce is to your desired thickness (if you have longer, it's better!).
- Stir in cilantro and garnich with lime or cheese or both!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Borracho beans are like King Ranch casserole, spaghetti sauce, chili or beef stew. There as many versions of these beloved standards as there are cooks! I really loved this version and the addition of the Rotel tomatoes is a great shortcut, and made these beans very flavorful and tasty. This Texan much prefers some tomato in the beans to keep them from being bland. I will make these again! Thanks, Sooz.
Welllll, having been a long time Texan, and having eaten borracho beans at least 100 times, I must say that I was very disappointed with this recipe. Borracho beans are usually a laid back fare with no tomatoes. But then again, the recipe didn't say "authentic". Maybe others will like it, and I am looking forward to reading their reviews.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I grew up in Tucson but moved to Colorado in 1989 and live in a household with my husband, Dad, daughter and 3-year old twin granddaughters. Our 8-year old grandson spends 2 nights a week with us. All of that adds up to often difficult menu ideas to met everyone's tastes. Zaar is very addicting and I love trying the recipes I find here. I like to find recipes of people that I see are still active on Zaar and love it when I hear back from the Chef after I review the recipe. Everytime someone reviews one of my recipes, I like to find one of theirs to make and review as quickly as possible. It's a way for me to find great chefs I don't know yet too! My husband has high blood sugar so we try to watch our carbs, but it is not easy because we love them so much! I was diagnosed with brain tumors in 2005 and so far have had 5 surgeries that have left my eyelid droopy. I hope to have a surgery that will correct that soon!! There is still one tumor they have not removed but my wonderful doctor James Garrity at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN says they will leave it alone until or if it ever causes problems!