Drunken Bread Pudding With Amaretto Sauce
- Ready In:
- 75hrs 45mins
- 4 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 10 tablespoons almond flavored liqueur, divided
- 6 12 dinner rolls (2 1/2 inch) or 12 cups bread, about
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter 11x7-inch baking dish.
- In bowl whisk eggs and yolks, Whisk in granulated sugar and cinnamon until blended.
- Whisk in half and half, raisins and 2 tablespoons Amaretto until combined and sugar has dissolved.
- Add bread; stir to coat in egg mixture.
- Cover; refrigerate for 15 minutes. Stir and refrigerate 15 minutes more.
- Pour bread and egg mixture into baking dish; Pour any remaining egg mixture over bread.
- Bake 30 minutes; sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes more or until set. (If top is browning too quickly, tent with foil).
- Sauce: In pot melt butter over medium heat.
- Add remaining Amaretto; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cook 30 seconds, reduce heat to medium.
- Gradually whisk in powdered sugar until dissolved; remove from heat.
- Transfer to bowl; cover and cool.
- Serve bread pudding with sauce and if desired, whipped cream.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This looks very similar to one I used to make years ago. I do wish you would consider some corrections though. Time to prepare is a little long at 75 hours. You say 1 cup of sugar, divided, but in the directions it's not that I could find. You also mention raisins in the text but not in the ingredient list. I haven't tasted it yet - getting ready to put it in the oven now though! Can't wait!
There is, finally, a bread pudding I like. Of course, it is the amaretto that does the trick. I had a bunch of Devonshire cream and bread crusts left over from a high tea, so instead of making the sauce for the top, I just added more amaretto and topped with Devonshire cream. I can tell that it would be good with the sauce too. Most bread puddings don't have much flavor to me, they are just a vehicle to carry sugar into the body. This has flavor!