Dr. Siegel's Diet Cookies
photo by bestbema
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄4 cups chex multi-bran cereal
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup non-fat powdered milk
- 1⁄4 cup unprocessed wheat bran
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 7 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Combine first 8 ingredients in large bowl, mix well with spoon.
- Blend banana, butter, sugar, eggs, egg whites, and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer until well incorporated.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, mix well and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Divide in half, then half again.
- Each portion makes 6 cookies. (I used an ice cream scoop to measure out the dough.).
- Bake for 12 minutes on cookie sheet or parchment paper.
- Cookies spread very little during baking. Allow to cool slightly and transfer to wire rack.
Amazing cookies. With these changes, there are 75 calories per cookie: add 1/4 tsp more cinnamon and 1 Tbsp more cocoa. Add 1/2 tsp ground cloves and 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce. Use Splenda baking blend instead of sugar. With a small ice cream scoop, the recipe always makes 28 cookies for me. I eat 6 of these a day (plus a beverage with each one) and 750 calories of other food, and the scale gives me a new, better number almost every day. I'm never hungry. This is a diet I can stick with for as long as it takes. Even after I reach my goal weight, these cookies will be my snack of choice. I keep some in my purse at all times.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Happy housewife, mom of 3, grandmother ("Bema") to 7 awesome kids! Live in South Florida, Love to entertain, cook, travel, etc. Have artistic flair which I persue in hobby form! Do everything from mosaics to knitting, scrapbooking to photography! My passion is my family & there is nothing I like more than being surrounded by them all, at home on a Sunday evening (pasta night!), enjoying great wines, delicious food, lively conversations and lots of hugs!