Double-Fudge Bread Pudding
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 25mins
- butter, for dish
- 1 lb day-old French bread or 1 lb Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 lb semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Butter a 13x9-inch baking dish; spread out bread in dish.
- In large bowl, whisk together sugars, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until combined well.
- Whisk in extract.
- Place chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk and heavy cream just to a boil.
- Pour over chocolate and stir until completely melted.
- Whisking constantly, slowly pour chocolate mixture into egg mixture; whisk in bourbon.
- Evenly pour over bread.
- Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Bake pudding until just set and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Serve warm or chilled with whipped cream, if using.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I want to thank all of you who review the recipes I post - good or bad. It's always good to get feedback and helpful tips and I really appreciate them all! I try to send a note when someone reviews one of my recipes, but I don't always get the chance. Please know that I really enjoy reading the reviews. I also love all the photos everyone posts, too! Thanks so much. Happy Cooking!