Dorothy's Cranberry Bread
photo by taurusita
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 orange, juice and grated rind
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup well-drained crushed pineapple in juice (save juice)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup cranberries, cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Sift together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a 3/4 measuring cup, add the juice from one orange, vegetable oil and reserved juice from the can of crushed pineapple to equal 3/4 Cup.
- In a small bowl, add liquid with grated orange rind and beaten egg. Stir to combine well, then add to dry ingredients, stirring just enough to dampen dough mixture (do not over beat).
- Fold in chopped nuts, cranberries and crushed pineapple.
- Bake in a large greased loaf pan at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Makes 1 loaf.
- SUGGESTION: To save time, you can coarsely chop the cranberries in a food processor, if you want. But be careful not to over pulse!
- NOTE: You may want to double the recipe and make 2 loaves. It goes fast!
I was intrigued when I saw this recipe with the crushed pineapple in it. I went out and bought the ingredients and made it. The person who posted this recipe is correct. It is the BEST cranberry bread! It will now be a holiday favorite in my home too. Thanks for sharing this recipe. It's definitely a keeper!
I made this cranberry bread and it was so good that my family gobbled it up immediately! I had to go to the store to buy additional ingredients to make more, and baked another 3 loaves. The addition of the crushed pineapple and pineapple juice with the cranberry and orange really enhances the flavor. I'll be serving this bread on Thanksgiving and Christmas this year, and every holiday in the future.