Dogs Kraut and Taters
This is so INEXPENSIVE and is on the table in 10 minutes flat. I made this frequently in college when on a tight budget. Feel free to use hot dogs, brats, polish sausage or whatever type of "dog" you like; these days I buy the more expensive hot dogs in natural casing from the butcher. You will find that the beer and potatoes some how take the bite out of the canned/tinned kraut. And now that I am an adult (don't laugh) I am thinking that some canned carrots would be great in here too! Serve with a side of horseradish sauce (I highly recommend recipe #39331) for dipping, some dark bread and a cold glass of beer!
- Ready In:
- 1 (15 ounce) can sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole white potatoes, drained
- 4 -6 hot dogs (may sub 4 brats or 2 long pieces of polish sausage cut into 8 pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill (optional)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes (optional)
- fresh cracked black pepper
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, place the kraut with juice, potatoes (drained and halved), and hotdogs. Pour beer over top.
- Sprikle with dill and caraway seeds if using them. Top off with some cracked black pepper.
- Cover and let it simmer for 7-10 minutes until hot.
- NOTE: If using an uncooked sausage/brat, you will need to let it simmer for 20 minutes.