Diabetic Strawberry Jam - Sugar Free
- Ready In:
- 4 cups strawberries, halved
- 1⁄2 cup white grape juice concentrate (simmered down from 1-1/2 cups)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- Place berries juices and lemon rind in saucepan.
- Mash berries slightly to release juice.
- Heat berries to boiling.
- Sprinkle with unflavored gelatin, and stir gelatin in well.
- Remove from heat, skim top and pack into hot jars with hot lids.
- Cool to room temperature before freezing.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I have to add another thought after making more jam. The recipe is not clear (at least it was not to me). I read it as saying that you need to take 1 1/2 cups of white grape juice CONCENTRATE and simmer it down to 1/2 cup....well, after making it again, I decided that was wrong and you either need 1/2 cup of the concentrate, OR you can use reconstituted juice and simmer it down to BE concentrated. Also, I recommend using only 1 TBS of gelatin. The first batch I made was very thick, but the others seem to be great with only 1 Tbs. I also omitted the peel, which seems to be fine. AND I used apricots today, and the outcome is fantastic!!! I am THRILLED to have a working, inexpensive sugar-free recipe for jam though!
I am trying to eliminate refined sugar from my family's diet and was looking for a jam recipe to fit the bill. I took the advice of PTKSmom in her review and just added the 1 TBSP of gelatin. It was a little bit runny for me, so I think next time I will use the 1 1/2 TBSP as originally written in the recipe and see how the texture works. My kids and I thought it was a good jam, but was a little bit on the sour side, of course we are used to regular jam. I think this is a great base for a recipe and love using the gelatin rather than the expensive fruit pectin. I also like the idea of using the grape juice as a sweetener. I will experiement around with some other recipes but may very well come back to this one and try it with a little bit of honey added.