Deviled Swiss Steak
photo by Bay Laurel
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a large shallow bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper, and mustard powder.
- Dredge round steak in this mixture.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown steak on both sides.
- Remove and place in a shallow baking dish.
- Add remaining ingredients to skillet, stirring well to pick up the bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour over the steak.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 2 hours.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a first generation Florida native, having grown up in a small town right on the edge of the Everglades. My family is originally from Georgia, and I come from a long line of great Southern cooks! Growing up, we didn't have much money, so most of the meat on the table came from what my dad hunted and killed. He swears that when I was little I used to eat the crunchy toes off deep fried frog legs. Thankfully my palate is a bit more sophisticated now! The kitchen was definitely my mother's domain, so if my sister and I were ever in the kitchen it was usually just to snatch a bit of whatever Mom was cooking! It wasn't until I moved away to college that I really started to enjoy cooking myself. <br>While I'm all for 30-minute meals and quick dinners, I get my greatest satisfaction from meals where I can slow down and really enjoy the cooking process. Isn't that what it should be all about? If you're just rushing through, you can't really connect with the food itself. <br>Now that I live in Canada(husband is Canadian) I've been exposed to many new ethnic cuisines, which I love to experiment with. But the foods of my childhood will always be what's closest to my heart.