Deep-Dish Spinach Pie
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 50mins
- 1 pastry dough (I use Lemon Pastry, half recipe)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 lbs fresh spinach, cleaned and stemmed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream or 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400°; on a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to a 13-inch square and fit into a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Fold the overhanging pastry all around to make a raised edge and crimp decoratively.
- Fit a sheet of foil over the dough and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake until the edges are set, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the foil and weights; return the crust to the oven and bake 5-10 minutes, until the bottom is firm and dry.
- Brush the pastry with the mustard and return to oven until set and dry, about 5 minutes.
- Decrease oven temperature to 375°.
- Add spinach to a large pot with just the water still clinging to the leaves.
- Cover and cook over medium-high heat until the spinach is wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Drain well and chop coarsely; mix in the tarragon, lemon juice, and feta cheese.
- Whisk the eggs, cream, sour cream, salt, and nutmeg together.
- Turn the spinach into the partially baked pastry shell; pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Bake until puffed all over and lightly browned, 45-50 minutes (cover pie crust edges with foil to prevent overbrowning).
- Cool 15 minutes before cutting.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!