- In a bowl, stir flour and salt together; cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs (use pastry blender).
- With a fork, stir the egg, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons ice water together.
- Sprinkle the liquid over the flour mixture and mix just until the pastry holds together, adding more water if needed.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for 2 or 3 strokes, just until the dough makes a smooth ball.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes or until firm; then ready to roll out.