Danish Side Dish
- Ready In:
- 1 bunch asparagus (10 spears)
- 4 slices un-smoked streaky bacon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons milk
- black pepper
- Rinse the asparagus under cold running water and pat dry, cut off any woody stems.
- Use the Tablespoon of olive oil to grease an oven proof dish; use a 6"x 4" dish that holds 3/4 pint of liquid.
- Line the inside of the dish with the bacon to cover completely. Lay the asparagus in the dish.
- Whisk the eggs with the milk until frothy and pour the egg mixture over the asparagus. Season with black pepper to taste, you won't need to salt as there's enough in the bacon.
- Put into a pre heated oven gas mark 6/400º F (200º C.), middle shelf for about 30 minutes.
- When cooked, remove from oven and using oven gloves, put a small plate on top of the dish and carefully turn over.
- Cut into 1" slices and divide between 4 plates, slightly overlap the slices.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a fantastic way to enjoy asparagus, which happens to be one of my favorite vegetables! I followed the recipe except basically doubled it due to the size of my smallest baking dish. I used Hormel center cut bacon as I have no idea where to buy unsmoked bacon without going to the strip district for it. It used about 8 strips of bacon to line my 7" x 7" (approx) dish- I will use more bacon next time and may also slightly precook it just a little. I used 23 stalks of asparagus, making 2 layers, alternating their direction (head to toe), and needed 5 eggs and about 1/4 cup or so of milk, I put a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper as well, and baked about 40 minutes. I drained the fat off the dish before inverting. When I inverted it I did so onto a plate lined with paper towels to soak up any bacon grease I could, remarkably there was very little grease. I definitely recommend letting it rest a little while to cut more easily- it reheats well with a minute or less in the microwave-I would be careful not to over heat it though as you might toughen the eggs. It tastes soooo good, bacon and asparagus are made for each other. My husband said, several times, "boy this is good" and there's very little left (just the 2 of us for dinner) I may try this with a little cheese mixed in- maybe asagio or parmesan- nothing too strong nor too much of it, the addition of some herbs might be nice but it needs nothing. If you really don't like asparagus, I reckon you could use broccoli, or maybe brussels sprouts. I plan to try it with other veggies and maybe several mixed, with some diced tomatoes sprinkled on top. This is excellent for ANY meal of the day, as a main dish or side, it would be great for a crowd and the presentation, when sliced is beautiful! I will post a picture tomorrow as I can't figure out how to do that from an iPad. Thanks for this super easy tasty dish, it's a definite keeper!!