photo by Mamas Kitchen Hope
- Ready In:
- 1 lb white button mushrooms, wiped clean with a damp cloth
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon basil (fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon parsley (fresh)
- 2⁄3 cup white wine or 2/3 cup broth
- parmesan cheese, to taste
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups pasta, cooked- 1/2 cup cooked per person
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. When the dry skillet is hot add olive oil and HALF of the butter.
- Slice the stems off of the mushrooms so that the bottom is flat.
- When butter has melted add all mushrooms cap down and allow them to cook undisturbed for 6-7 minutes so that they caramelize and are nicely browned on the bottom. Shake them around a tiny bit at first to help them not stick but if they do stick do not worry. They will release from the pan when they have properly caramelized.
- Turn mushrooms over and allow to brown on the stem side in the same manner. Add just a tiny bit more olive oil if needed or spray a bit with some cooking spray to keep calories down.
- When mushrooms have browned well on both sides add onion and garlic and saute just until the garlic releases its flavor- about one minute. Add the remaining butter, basil, rosemary and parsley and cook for one minute more, stirring constantly.
- Add lemon juice and wine and reduce heat to simmer (between medium low and low on my stove). Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes or mushrooms are done but still firm. Add more wine if needed but try not to let all the liquid evaporate. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: You may wish to reserve a little of the pasta water to add to the sauce if you would like more sauce.
- Serve mushrooms over cooked and well drained pasta, then generously sprinkle freshly grated parmesan cheese on top. I like to add a pinch of fresh ground black pepper or pepper flakes to the top as well.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Proud Zaar original member! Very disappointed with the new site.