Curried Chunky Potato Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 -8 cups peeled red potatoes, chopped into 1/2-inch chunks (see Description above)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh garlic
- 8 cups chicken broth or 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 2 cups milk or 2 cups soymilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook 5 minutes, stirring often, until they are shiny, fragrant and transparent.
- Add the potatoes and cook, stirring frequently, until they are steaming, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the curry powder and garlic. Cook about 3 minutes, stirring often, until the curry and garlic are fragrant and evenly mixed inches.
- Increase heat to medium, add broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook about 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add milk & salt, stir well, and cook until heated through.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve hot or warm, sprinkled with cilantro or parsley.
- Note: You can use other types of potatoes, including white rose, Idaho and new potatoes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!