Crispy Fish Sticks
photo by foodieforlife2
- Ready In:
- Mix the first 4 ingredients in a shallow plate and set aside.
- Cut the tilapia fillets in long sticks with a width of about 1 inch. Marinate them in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Store meanwhile in the fridge. Then cover your cutting board with aluminum foil.
- Cut away the thick crusts of the bread. Then, tear the bread in coarse pieces and fill your food-processor or blender with it. Blend it to medium sized breadcrumbs.
- Toast your fresh breadcrumbs for 1-2 minutes at 400°F This is necessary to evaporate most of the water.for a better crunchy skin. Remove and let it cool of and toss it a bit with a fork. Dispose it in another shallow plate.
- Pour a sizable amount of cooking oil in a deep pan, and turn your stove on low heat. Break eggs and whisk in a bowl. Place your marinated fish in front of the board, the flour-mixture next to it. Then follow the eggs and ,the breadcrumbs and finally a bowl of water.
- Now the real deal begins! Lift a piece of fish with 2 forks and drop it into the flour-mix. Wallow the fish until fully covered and shake any excess flour off. Then transfer to the beaten eggs and do the same. At last, transfer to the plate with breadcrumbs and put away the forks in the bowl of water (dirty part in water). Use your hands to tumble and lightly press around the fish until thoroughly covered in the crumbs. Move the fish-stick to the cutting-board and wipe your forks clean with a piece of paper towel. Repeat likewise for the other fish-sticks.
- When done, turn up the heat of your stove to high. The sticks have to rest for about 15 minutes, to get the crust set (otherwise you'll end up with a disaster). So. meanwhile you could clean up the counter in advance.
- The easiest last step: deep-fry the fish-sticks in about 5 minutes to a nice golden-brown colour. Serve with your favourite sauce!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!