Creamy Pesto-Piccata Chicken With Tortellini
- Ready In:
- 3 cups cooked chicken, diced (I use boneless, skinless breasts or pick up a rotisserie)
- 1 (9 ounce) package cheese tortellini
- 2 medium shallots, sliced thin
- 2 -3 tablespoons capers
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard (to taste)
- 1 cup refrigerated pesto sauce (or you can use homemade)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 lemon, juice of, fresh
- 3⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Cook your chicken if not already done. (I usually will sauté or poach a couple of large boneless, skinless chicken breasts.) Remove from pan and set aside. (Or you can use a purchased rotisserie chicken.).
Cook tortellini according to package directions. While pasta is cooking:
- Sauté sliced shallots over medium high heat until they start to brown, about 2-3 minutes. I just saute them with PAM cooking spray, but you can use whatever medium you prefer (oil, butter or even a little chicken broth). Add capers. Reduce heat to medium.
- Return chicken to pan and continue cooking.
- Add whipping cream and Dijon mustard; bring to a simmer and cook until it is slightly reduced; about 5 minutes. Add pesto sauce and mix well. Add lemon zest and juice. Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer uncovered about 5-7 minutes more.
- Combine the chicken sauce with the tortellini. Gently toss to mix well. Add the freshly shredded parmesan cheese.
- Serve with a tossed green salad and crusty bread.
Join The Conversation
Wonderful dish. I always just get a rotisserie chicken for this to cut out the cooking chicken step. I don't like mustard, but I love this dish. Just be a bit conservative with the mustard if it's not your thing. My husband likes this too, and he doesn't like mustard or pesto. The combination really brings out the best in all of the ingredients.
yummy!!!!! i picked up a rotisserie chicken, used herbed chicken tortellini, added 4 garlic cloves and 2 serrano peppers to the shallots. other than that, i followed the recipe to a T. the 2 of us ate every bit of it!! very simple dish that is bursting with flavor! i will be adding this to my keepers!! thanks so much for sharing this awesome dish!!