Creamed Tuna or Chicken With Peas
- Ready In:
- 4 (6 ounce) cans tuna in water or 1 cup cooked chicken
- 4 cups chicken stock (I suggest Crock Pot Chicken Stock )
- 1⁄8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup milk
- 4 -5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mushroom (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Drain tuna or chop chicken finely.
- Bring chicken stock (and optional mushrooms if desired), to a boil. Add celery seed and thyme.
- Use a fork or a whisk to combine cornstarch with cold milk. Adjust amount according to whether you want a thicker or thinner sauce. Add to boiling stock, reduce heat, and stir until the sauce simmers gently.
- Add tuna/chicken, peas, and sherry.
- Heat through and season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Remove from heat. Let sit, keeping warm, for 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- Serve over the starch of your choice -- rice, toast points, noodles, cornbread (I suggest recipe Recipe #277295 ), biscuits, etc.
- Note -- if you have no homemade chicken stock I suggest using a good soup base (Tones brand is available in Sam's Club). Both bullion cubes and canned chicken broth are inferior substitutes for real stock and a dish this simple depends on the quality of the ingredients for good flavor.
- Tip -- if you enjoy tuna casserole but have give it up because of the salt in the mushroom soup try using a suitable quantity of this recipe (with or without the peas), as a substitute for the diluted soup.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!