Creamy Corn & Shrimp Chowder
- Ready In:
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 Stick)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon thyme, scant
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, scant
- 1 lb frozen cut corn
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt and black pepper
- ground cayenne pepper
- In large heavy pot melt butter and sauté onions, bell pepper, celery and garlic until soft.
- Add thyme, rosemary, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce and crushed bouillon cubes.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add flour mixing well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cream and milk and whip with whisk until completely blended.
- Cook over low heat until mixture thickens, stirring.
- Adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Add corn and cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add shrimp and cook for another 5-10 minutes or just until shrimp are cooked being careful not to overcook shrimp.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Living in the south we are very lucky to have an abundance of fresh seafood and other ingredients at our disposal when trying new recipes. My husband and I both love to cook and have learned a lot about cooking from our native Louisianian, Paul Prudhomme (we learned to be very careful with his recipes as they are very spicy - even for us), native New Orleanian, Frank Davis and transplanted Emeril Lagasse. It would be very difficult to pick an all time favorite cookbook since I have approximately 200. I enjoy collecting local cookbooks as well as others from different areas. This picture is obviously when DH and I got married. I cooked all the food and even made my wedding cake.