Couscous Salad With Cinnamon Vinaigrette
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 1⁄3 cups canned chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) box couscous
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries or 3/4 cup currants
- 3 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained (chick-peas)
- 5 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- Bring first three ingredients to boil in heavy small saucepan, stirring mixture constantly. Pour into small bowl; cool.
- Bring broth to boil in heavy medium saucepan.
- Mix in couscous and cranberries. Cover; remove from heat. Let stand five minutes.
- Transfer couscous to bowl; fluff with fork. Cool.
- Whisk shallot and vinegar into oil mixture. Pour over couscous.
- Mix in green onions, beans and mint.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
OMG! This is great! The cinnamon and mint make a wonderful, unusual combination. I cut the oil by half; didn't miss it. You could substitute some fruit juice if the salad seems dry to you. I used dried apricot for the fruit, and a sweet onion for the scallion. As long as you keep the cinnamon and the mint this recipes lends itself to all kinds of improvisation. Thanks for posting, Blue Plate!