Corn Dog Batter
photo by Pot Scrubber
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk (I never have buttermilk on hand so I use whole milk with 1 Tbsp of vinegar added and let it set for )
- 1⁄2 cup flour (in a bag to shake or dredge veggies or frankfurter pieces)
- Combine all ingredients (except the 1/2 cup of flour used for dredging) in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Let set for about five minutes. Add another Tbsp or two of milk if you need to thin it a little
- These make the cutest little corn "puppies" or corn "McNuggets" Cut as many frankfurters into four equal segments as you will need for however many people you are cooking for. Stick a toothpick into each of them, dip in batter, and fry. Leave the toothpick in -- it's cute. Or, if making full length dogs, pour batter in a tall glass and dip your weiner in it.
- Drain on paper towels or newsprint and serve with mustard or ketchup or whatever condiments you want.
- *TIPS --.
- Remember -- this batter can be saved for a day or two so no need to use it all at once. If reusing batter from fridge take it out long enough for it to be room temperature. You might need to add a TBSP or two of water to loosen it back up to the right consistency.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!