Coquilles St. Jacques
- Ready In:
- Heat the milk to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- While the milk is heating, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, until foamy, about 3 minutes. Add the hot milk all at once while whisking. Stir the sauce until it is thick and bubbly. Remove from the heat and add the salt, nutmeg, black pepper, and sherry vinegar. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Let cool slightly before continuing.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the breadcrumbs to coat them evenly with the butter. Reserve.
- Preheat the broiler and arrange an oven rack to the highest position.
- Set out the shells (or ramekins) on a baking sheet. Arrange 2 scallops in each. Top each scallop with about 3 tablespoons of the sauce. Sprinkle some of the cheese over the sauce and top with a tablespoon or so of the buttered breadcrumbs. Broil the scallops for about 7 minutes. The sauce and cheese should be golden brown. The scallops should be tender and juicy, not overcooked. Carefully transfer the hot scallops in their shells (or ramekins) to a serving plate. Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a graphic artist, living in beautiful Fort Worth, TX. Next to my love of music, cooking and trying new recipes, I am involved in animal rescue. I currently have 2 rescued Brussels Griffons, 2 foster Griffs and 3 funny parrots. I maintain a store on Cafe Press to raise funds to pay for vet bills for our rescued Brussels Griffons. Please visit our store at http://cafepress.com/griffy_rescue or our main rescue site at http://brusselsgriffonrescue.org <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/cc-banner-7-09.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/79877/hklogosm.jpg"> ZWT5 was my first, and I loved it. We had a great team. <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/79877/hkban.jpg"> My current ZWT5 team banner for the first leg. <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/79877/HKBIKE2.jpg"> We started out nice! A Hell's Kitchen Angel's graphic I made for our second leg. Things started to heat up! <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/79877/hkbanknives.jpg"> By the end, we were HOT! The banner for our last leg with all our team members! What a blast! <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg"><img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/potluckpbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"><img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Recipezaar%20Album/iplaytagin.jpg"> <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg">