Copycat Taco Bell Naked Chicken Chalupa
photo by EmKenBken
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
12 Copycat Taco Bell Naked Chicken Chalupas
Creamy Avocado Ranch Sauce
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope ranch dressing mix, such as Hidden Valley Ranch
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 small avocado, pitted and diced
- 4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Naked Chicken Chalupa Shell
- 2 lbs ground chicken, white meat
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Accent seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 (6 ounce) can cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 6 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- In the bowl of a blender or food processor combine ingredients for Creamy Avocado Ranch Sauce. Blend until completely smooth. Transfer to a small container, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In the bowl of a food processor combine ingredients for Naked Chicken Chalupa Shell. Process until completely combined and chicken has formed a paste, about three minutes. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment, flour liberally.
- Using a 1/3 cup measure lightly sprayed with cooking spray to help, divide chicken mixture into 12 portions, placing each portion on a floured baking sheet. Place both baking sheets in the freezer while you roll out chicken shells.
- Flour a washable cutting board liberally. Transfer one chicken portion to cutting board and flour the top. Using a rolling pin, roll the chicken mixture into a 6-inch circle. If the mixture is too sticky to roll, continue to freeze it for a bit longer. Make sure the rolling pin and the work surface are well floured. Place rolled out chicken rounds back in the freezer, dividing each with parchment.
- In a pie dish or shallow rimmed platter whisk together Wet Ingredients thoroughly.
- In another shallow dish stir together Dry Ingredients.
- In a large heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven, with a deep frying thermometer attached to side, heat oil over medium-high to 340°F.
- Working one at a time, remove a rolled out chicken round from the freezer, dust off excess flour, dip in egg mixture on both sides, then Dry Mixture on both sides.
- Using kitchen twine tie chicken round into “taco” shape. If chicken is too soft after breading, place in freezer again for a few minutes and continue with remaining rounds.
- Before frying make sure to have kitchen scissors and tongs on hand.
- Place Chalupa shells into hot oil one at a time. Fry for 1 1/2 minutes undisturbed. Using tongs, lift Chalupa gently to the surface of the oil. Snip string, and gently remove. Chalupa should now hold it’s shape. Continue to fry until golden brown and cooked through another 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Fill with Creamy Avocado Ranch Sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, and cheddar cheese; serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!